Ok so the very first thing i wanted to do after my junkyard trip, was to get my headliners installed, before i ended up wrecking them in the garage!
My front headliner was pretty saggy. It was already starting to droop, and then driving around for a couple summers with the top off definitely made the situation worse:
Being an XL, this thing didnt come equipped from the factory with the liner in the hard top, nor did it have the cargo light (the light is suspended by the liner itself). All it has is this round black plug:
Luckily if you remove it, it exposes the plug for the cargo light so no wiring required to make it work, its all already there!
I dont really have any progress pics, but this is a pretty easy swap. In the rear the liner is actually held up in place by the rear window seals, so you can remove all the trim & even the top w/o the liner coming down. This also made the original removal in the junkyard a little difficult, but the install went quite easy. The finished product looks pretty good too!
I have not installed the rear cargo panels yet. If youll notice in the pic below, the arm pads from the little storage pockets are missing, so i still have to source a set of those.
I also havent swapped the glovebox door yet; i have the lock removed, but i need to drop it off at the locksmith to get rekeyed and havent done so yet. Hoping to get both of these done soon though!
Went to the yard yesterday with a buddy looking for parts, and scored!
Like 3/4 of the interior out of a 95ish bronco:
Both headliners, the locking glovebox door and the rear cargo panels are all going to go into my 96 bronco once i get them cleaned up (and find replacement armrests for the panels since theyre missing).
Also found a 95 F-Superduty, which still had the hydroboost unit!
Got the master, hydroboost unit, one of the high pressure lines (the other was cut), the pedal assembly, the instrument cluster and the intake hoses (7.5L) for a whopping $58!
LMC to the rescue!
One new 'diesel' bumper with trim:
I also ordered new bumper brackets because one of them was bent
Removed the trim from across the bottom, and the large braces are next:
Original braces cleaned up and painted!
Now weve got to put this thing together!
Before we do that though, were going to carefully trim the corner of the bumper, to make some room for the 35s.
Its a decent amount of material, but once the bumper is installed, you wont even notice its missing.
So moving on, brackets, braces & trim installed, next up is the moulding!
...and the finished product!
Heres a close-up of the corner. You cant even tell it was cut.
Overall this is a decent bumper. As youd expect of the aftermarket, its a little thinner than the OEM bumper, but it looks good, and all the holes were in the right place, so i cant complain too much. I do like the look of this bumper more than the solid XL bumper, i just wish it didnt have to get swapped under these circumstances.
I got the front-end alignment adjusted during the week, so we're good to go to drive this thing again!
Swerved to dodge a car in the snow this morning, ended up losing it and hitting a guardrail. Shoulda had the hubs locked in, oh well too late now.
Caught it dead in-line with the frame horn.
The whole bumper is twisted, so thats gonna have to go
Frame horn is bent in slightly, as is the bumper bracket
Steering wheel is crooked so its gonna need a front-end alignment. Still snowing so i dug out the diesel (which i never did from the big storm last week) so i can drive that to work tonight. Ive got a plan for tomorrow to straighten the frame horn, and then ive got to come up with a plan for a new front bumper.
It lives again!
What a crazy adventure. So we had the storms from the hurricane that dumped almost two feet of rain on us which definitely delayed me! A poorly installed intake gasket that i re-did, new Ford Racing lifters, had the craziest coolant leak youve ever seen that led to swapping out for a different set of stock heads, but finally, she's a runner once more!
Hopefully there will be no more problems popping up, cuz i am ready to turn some wrenches on the big bronco and finally get her running again!
Ole reliable had to tow her home today. Guessing i blew a head gasket on my way in to work last night. Motor was hydrolocked in the parking lot, guessing it filled up during the shift since it didnt overheat on the way in. Towed it home, its at the garage door now awaiting repairs. Drained a gallon of coolant out of the oil pan! I wont really be able to tear into it next week, but im guessing passenger head gasket. Got all spark plugs out in parking lot at work except #4 as i didnt have a socket that would clear the header. #3 was was sparkly, like it was burning coolant. Guessing #4 will be as well.
Couple months later, the bornco is still handling like a champ! Wish i flipped the steering sooner. Tires are wearing so much better now too.
So ive hard the hard top off since memorial day, and the XL rear cardboard panels are getting a bit rough:
I cant find XLT rear panels anywhere, so i went to the local scrap yard, and found a huge sheet of 1/4" thick black plastic for $20! So i made my own:
Laying out the second panel. The sheet was just barely big enough to make both:
cheapy sound deadener from Amazon:
First panel installed:
I used the rear speaker grills out of my '88 since the cardboard panels didnt use any. I still need to find another pair because sooner or later these are going to end up back in the '88 again!
...and both done!
Im pretty happy with how they came out, altho if i ever find some XLT panels im still gonna get em.
Picked up the bronco this morning. Handles really nice with good tires up front. I was really close on the alignment, and now its perfect. Passed insp with flying colors too, so we're good to go!
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic