Been driving the shit out of this thing, so naturally, the one thing I didn't touch, would need work.
I had this really neat noise under load (thinking going up hill), and then a rumble going down the other side of the hill (which sounded like it was coming from the rear axle). So I split the tcase open to inspect:
the arm for the oil pump has worn a pretty deep groove into the tcase housing. it makes this cool (not really) rattly noise under load which sounds like bad bearings.
Long story short, I stripped her clean
Bought a bearing kit & a pump kit off ebay just in case. I changed all the bearings. Didn't really need the pump kit, but I used it anyway cuz I was already in there. Then welded a tab to the original arm, so it cant rattle around in there anymore
That's pretty much it. I didnt bother to take too many other pics, as there is already a great thread over on FSB of the full BW1356 rebuild, located here.
Needless to say, the tcase is nice and quiet now. Well worth tearing into now, before the pump finally failed.
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic