I shouldve built these years ago!!!!
So, since I wont have my wedges for a few days, I decided to finish a shop project that I started over a year ago: Axle stands
That said, I effortlessly rolled the axle out from under the truck, so that tomorrow (after some cleanup) I can begin refurbishing the brakes
The top of the stand is slotted to accept exhaust ubolts of various sizes, to clamp around the axle tubes. They actually work really good at holding the axle in place, to the point you can roll it around freely, or even set pinion angle.
New Hangar, courtesy of Dorman
springs are now installed, this morning I got the axle mocked into place!
The axle is jacked up, with the full weight of the truck on the springs. The B codes flatten out nicely; should ride nice. They get close to the overload at ride height but don't ride on them, so it should carry weight pretty nicely. The stock tapered blocks are in there currently, and need to be, but theyre both cracked so ive got a new set on order from JBG. So no snugging up ubolts or putting it on all fours until some time next week. Sucks, but it gives me time to replumb the rear brakes, and get the driveshaft shortened.
Near as I can tell, it looks like the B Codes lifted it ~3", but ill have to get it on the ground so I can get better measurements. If it ends up too tall in the rear ill drop the overload.
...and now to delete the 4WABS. Chop up some brake lines
Then remove pump & bracket
the 'brains' of the operation
and a shitload of wires!
I took some time away from working on the truck, to source all the parts to put the 351 in. Which I now have.
Add in some other things along the way and I lost a bunch of time, but still, progress!
lift kit installed:
D50 stub shafts in place
front end complete!
stock pitman arm, next to a 4wd F250 arm
All new Moog TREs. Instead of using bronco TREs, these are the ambulance prep Van TREs. Beefy.
TTB is hung once more!
Not shown in that pic, is the 4.10 D50 chunk bolted in, along with the front dshaft hooked back up.
Chevy vs. Ford stub shaft:
(Ford on top)
D.side shafts installed, modified knuckles with new balljoints, adjustable camber bushings, and the chevy spindle
Then I got stalled out. Not sure whats going on here.
Here is my brand new Superlift leveling coils from Bronco Graveyard. This pic does not do it justice; the lower coil retainer will pull right thru the bottom wrap on the spring:
Its as if the coils were made wrong. I guess ill have to call JBG Monday and see what they have to say.
Got my rear diff cover the other day. OEM Ford piece ('08 Superduty), same one I run on my F250:
Degreased it, then shot it with some clear so it wont corrode. Did the same on the cover on my F250, and that's looking good years later.
Also, more parts!
These are B-Code Superduty leafs, that I picked up off an old friend Saturday.
So i salvaged the F250's ubolt plates, and the oem blocks from it as well. Got em blasted and now theyre sitting in a fresh coat of primer.
Pulled the massive sway bar off the 10.25. Going to clean it up and save it, but not planning on installing it; just keeping it in case i want it later on.
Got the rear needle-scaled, wire wheeled, and painted too. Ignore the rusty diff cover, thatll be getting replaced with a new one when the axle goes in.
I was gonna start cleaning the front diff, when i remembered we have a bigass parts washer with agitator at work, so im bringing that in to soak all night while im working.
Tomorrow a couple buddies are coming by after work, and we're going to bring the bronco up from its space in the stones, to the garage door so i can yank whats left of the motor, and then bring the truck inside for the rebuild!
I brought the rear into the garage to pop a drum off, and check condition of brakes. Needed to see if it had the 2½" or 3" shoes, condition of hardware etc. The drum didn't come off too well, but once it did come off, I was greeted with this:
New brakes! The wheel cylinders look like death from the outside so they'll be getting replaced, but the shoes (3") & all hardware are all damn near new.
So this is where i left off for the weekend:
10.25 ready to be stripped, and the front 3rd waiting for a chance to be degreased. Hope to start prepping both of these tomorrow morning after work.
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic