So now that im done with the electrical upgrades, the next step is to inspect my neglected axles. So, tuesday i got the truck up on jackstands!
Pulled the steering off so i could inspect the ARB. it has seen better days!
I am replacing the whole steering setup with the system the Boulder Proof HD Steering Kit from Broncoair. Unfortunately backordered for a couple weeks due to COVID, but ive got enough to do just yet that it shouldnt delay me anyway.
So i took a look at the ARB, to see if i could find my air leak. Figuring after 15 years an o-ring was leaking. Well.....
...the copper supply tube is ruptured, so that needs to be replaced. So the ARB is coming out.
Breaking it down:
Probably 5 years since i inspected the bearings. Was super happy to find nice clean grease!
spindle seal is shot, on both sides
Difficult to see, but i cracked both upper kingpin bushings, so theyll need replaced
stripped bare, ready to start cleaning the housing:
As of today, the knuckles, wheel bearing hubs, spindles & caliper brackets are now cleaned & painted!
and i got my new collar for the ARB in the mail yesterday too
So now im putting together a shopping list of parts that i need to get it back together. I was looking at bronze kingpin bushings. Pricing seems to be all over the place, with RuffStuff @ $90, Branik @ $95, Ballistic @ $100, TMR @ $130, NWF @ $149, ECGS @ $159, etc etc. I cant see much of a difference in them, so not sure why the price is all over the place like that. This is the second set ive cracked, so i think while its apart im gonna upgrade to em.
Probably going to run them in conjunction with the springless kingpin bushing kit from PartsMike.
All my bearings & kingpins are in good shape, with the exception of the lower kingpin bearings. After cleaning theyre looking a little rough so im going to change them, and get new seals.
upper kingpin seal, Spicer 620058
lower kingpin seal, Spicer 41777
for the spindle seal i was going to use the Spicer 708084 kit, which is the updated '2 seal' version for the 92-97 Ford axles, as im pretty sure this will fit the 79 D60. Comes with spindle bearing. Spicer 708084
The hub seal should be the same as pretty much every other D60 out there, National p/n NS 415960
From there i think im going to order a set of the 35 spline Yukon locking hubs for street use. The Spicers, while bomb proof, dont lock/unlock very easily, and im just tired of always disassembling them to get them to work again, so theyre getting replaced. I also need to spec and order a new pair of shocks for the front. So yeah, lots of parts to buy!
Im gonna try to get everything ordered this weekend, and then next week yank the ARB out, change the orings, replace the collar and reinstall. If i get done before i get my parts in, then i guess ill move to the rear and start taking that apart (it needs wheel seals and rotors). Im hoping to drive this thing down the road before Xmas!
So the next big part of the wiring job is the electric fan.
I opted for a can controller from DC Control, specifically his model FK-75 controller. Its a PWM controller, rated for 75a continuous duty, and fully adjustable. For those that dont know what PWM is, its pulse width modulation. The short version is, it doesn't just turn the fan on, it pulses the power on & off, to control how fast the fan spins. This means you can run the fan at any speed you want, and it also means theres no big load on the electrical system when the fan starts. Most OEMs are now going this way for their electric fans, and its all over the industrial world as well since its so effective for motor control. Anyway....
So im running the windstar fan, which i installed on the radiator some time ago:
Its 2 single speed fans that Ford ran in parallel. Its not a high/low thing.
Came with everything required to wire it up, so lets get to it!
So this took a while, but the end result was well worth it. All the aux wiring is done!!
Switches for the locker, line lock, light bar & winch control are installed:
i bought 18ga 12 conductor cable to wire the switches:
Wiring up the fuse/relay box:
I have one standalone circuit for each accessory, plus one spare already run from the box to the dash, so if i ever want to add another switch, all the wiring is already done.
Everything is color coded; the switch wiring is color matched to the individual +12 for each accessory so i cant mix up any wires. There is also a key-hot power source turning on 2 of the relays; one is for the OBA system, and the second is for the elec fan, so i dont have to worry about remembering to turn either on.
At this point, every accessory has been wired, and tested for function.
Made a trip to the junkyard last week to find parts for a buddies car, but i couldnt come home empty handed!
I now have everything to do the power window/mirror/lock upgrade on the green bronco, except for a tan driver panel. One day ill find one.
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic