Ole reliable had to tow her home today. Guessing i blew a head gasket on my way in to work last night. Motor was hydrolocked in the parking lot, guessing it filled up during the shift since it didnt overheat on the way in. Towed it home, its at the garage door now awaiting repairs. Drained a gallon of coolant out of the oil pan! I wont really be able to tear into it next week, but im guessing passenger head gasket. Got all spark plugs out in parking lot at work except #4 as i didnt have a socket that would clear the header. #3 was was sparkly, like it was burning coolant. Guessing #4 will be as well.
So, the end result here, is that it runs. So i installed most of the under-hood harness ( i believe all thats left is to do the alternator & starter wiring). I put in my radiator and hoses, and box + intake, and the rad overflow bottle.
I also reinstalled my trans & p.steering coolers:
Found a place to mount the remote trans filter too:
IM also in the middle of working on the interior. I cant install the kick panels until all of the wiring is done and i verify it runs. But i can finish the rest of the interior, which is what im working on currently. If all goes well, i actually expect to have most of that done Monday, so there should be another progress update early next week!
Man, its been a while! With schools closed due to sars-cov-2, and the decimation of the aerospace industry wreaking havoc on my wallet & budget (honestly, im lucky to still have a job at all), not much has been accomplished on this thing this summer. However, thats not to say i havent made any progress; i actually have but its been slow and scattered. Ive completed a few tasks now, and im hip deep on several other parts of the bronco right now. The point where im at, just about everything im working on has some form of impact on other areas on the truck, so ive elected to wait until now to post progress, since it will make more sense to focus on individual tasks as opposed to scattered updates from all over the vehicle.
That said, when we left off, i was working on relocating the ECM. With that done, the next step was the wiring harness. So, heres what i came up with.
The bracket i build for the ECM goes where the ABS ecm and internal amp used to be. I finished that, and bolted it to the dash frame:
So now ive got to get the wiring harness to reach it. I really didnt want to cut the wiring harness and extend it though, i wanted to make an extension, this way if this doesnt work out, i cant just remove it and go back to 'stock'. Also, i love doing things the hard way, and building an extension is way harder!
So when searching some way to build it, i found DIYautotune, who as it turns out, makes kits to do just that! Really, theyre for building in piggyback support for aftermarket EFI and other stuff the mustang guys do, but itll work for me!
It comes as a kit you need to build yourself:
It comes with a PCB, and an old connector off of an old ECM
I had to solder the connector to the board, and it has 2 output connections for each pin on the board, so you can splice into every wire w/o having to cut any.
So i got my soldering station set up, so here we go!
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic