So Friday i got a little bit of work done. Made all 4 tabs to laminate the shackle mounts.
I need to pilot them, and then they can be welded up like i did the rears; hopefully Monday. Apparently a month or so ago i forgot to turn the gas bottle off on the mig, so i gotta go get gas tomorrow morning first!
Heres a teaser for the corner:
There will be two more pieces to wrap around the corner , and i think im going to change the shape of this one a bit, as im afraid its going to end up too wide. It does give you a good idea of the look im going for though!
Mocked up a bumper bracket in cardboard:
Plan is to have a shackle mount part of the bracket and pass thru the front plate, like i did on the rear:
...and duplicated! Built them out of 3/8" plate like i did for the rear, which is pretty time consuming!
Ok, finally, an update!
It took me a little while to decide how i wanted to build the front bumper, then sourcing the material. Since i had to actually buy new steel to build it (i usually buy all my steel from the local scrap steel yard), i decided to have them do a little work for me before i picked it up. Took a little bit of time, but i got a lot of work done on other projects around the house so no big deal.
So anyways, i picked this up about a week ago:
8' of 1/4" plate all bent up :imp Its a 5" leg and an 8" leg, with a 1-3/8" section in the middle. Should be just enough to build what im planning.
Chopped off a piece 43" long:
The 8" leg might seem a bit tall, but as you can see here, its necessary to hide that massive winch:
Because this winch is from a Powerwagon, its got an unusual handle:
My current plan is to modify it to swing over the bumper so i dont have to cut a notch in it, but that wont happen for a little while yet.
Other items of note:
#1, the fairlead on this winch goes on the top of the drum instead of the bottom.
#2, LED light bar!
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic