Rust cut out of rear driver corner, it was a bit worse than it looked!
New steel tacked in:
...and done! Good enough for the interior, its gonna get covered in bedliner anyway.
I also fixed the small hole on the passenger side.
From there i moved on to the rear corners.
This is a bumper i bought for a future project for the green bronco, i mocked it up on this one to see how it would fit and then never took it off. Considered using it on this one instead, but i have some ideas that would require modifying the bumper so ill probably just start from scratch. We'll see what happens when we get there.
I had started cutting the corners when i opened up the wheel wells, but never finished. Well, that time has come!
The typical cut everyone does
...both done, looks much better now!
So i think that unofficially finishes rust repair on the tub! Im sure ill find more to fix when i start sanding & prepping for paint, but for now im moving on!
So i was talking to my brother, and i guess im going to try to fix my doors. Theyre both pretty clean, except for a patch right in the middle of each, where the mirrors attach. This is going to be a challenge for me, as all my repairs thus far have been in corners or at body lines which made them easy to hide. Its going to be tough for me to get these right, so you cant tell.
With the diesel and the green bronco 'done', its time to get back to this!
Fixed a hole in the rocker:
Thought i had a before pic. Just pretend it was rusty there.
Moved inside. See the speckles on the roof?
its bedliner (doh!) Apparently when i sprayed the underside, i didnt mask off the trans tunnel well enough, and i got overspray all over the roof and B-pillar. So i now have the majority of that removed from the paint.
I then moved to the rear wheel wells. Since i cut them open, the inner wall was only partially there. I elected to remove the rest of it, since it holds dirt and therefore moisture
Both fenders done, no rust repair required, just need some more wire wheeling and some primer. They will get HNR/bed liner in the spring.
To then i moved back inside. i have two more spots to deal with and i think im done with rust repair:
Hopefully ill get out there tomorrow to start on those.
I still need to finish cutting the rear corners and thatll pretty much finish up the body work to the tub, but ill still need to sand/bondo everything.
I also need to do something about my doors. They are in decent shape, except they both have one rust spot, right in the middle where the mirror bolts on:
I am not confident in my ability to fix that, w/o it being super obvious. My bondo game is not strong! So im currently debating what to do. One door needs a new rivnut, and both need to be repaired there. Im gonna try to clean them up and see if i can fix the doors, as id rather not buy new ones. I already need a new tailgate as mine is rotted badly.
So, im rapidly approaching the part of this build where i need to start spending money! So im guessing this will go slow for a bit.
Things to do:
So the flares interfere with the rubber arches for the running boards. I dont want to hack them up (id rather keep them unmolested), so that means i need to build something else to replace them.
This is a set of steps i built for a buddy years ago, for his quad cab. He no longer has a use for them, so i got them back. They wont work for a short bronco, but the material is salvageable.
Cutting them up:
Ok, now the correct length, and notches cut/boxed to clear the front fender bolt:
The rough idea, same as what everyone else does. You can see i was working on these while fixing the fender
The difference is im going to add a step on the side, to make it easier to get the little guy in/out of his car seat.
I was holding off on this update until i got everything done, because it all kind of ties together. That said.....
After finishing the interior, i decided i might as well deal with the rust on the exterior. Fortunately, there really isnt much, except for this:
Fixing it required doing something that probably everyone was waiting for.....
The running boards are off!
At the same time, i added a set of Bushwacker's Street Flares, which are the smallest of the 3 they offer.
main site/photo gallery:
Sort by Topic